– Grows along the coast from Oregon to central California.
– Experienced extensive logging, followed by replanting. Management of dense second-growth stands requires thinning to restore old-growth forest.
– 26.5 Gb hexaploid genome (2n = 6x = 66)
– Genome assembly v1.0 available here
– Grows in fragmented groves throughout the Sierra Nevada.
– Moderate historical logging, and reduced regeneration due to fire suppression. Grove maintenance and ex-situ conservation are priorities.
– 8 Gb diploid genome (2n = 2x = 22)
– Genome assembly v2.0 available here
Redwood Genome Team
Learn more about the Redwood Genome Project from our partner and funder Save the Redwoods League : https://www.savetheredwoods.org/project/redwood-genome-project/
- De Novo Genome Assembly Webinar Series, May 20, 2020: Sequencing and assembling the mega-genomes of mega-trees: the giant sequoia and coast redwood genomes.
- Nanopore Community Meeting, December 5, 2019: Sequencing and assembling mega-genomes of mega-trees: the giant sequoia and coast redwood genomes
- Marin Independent Journal, May 1, 2019: Genetic Code of Marin Redwoods Sought for Restoration
- Mercury News, April 26, 2019: Genetic Code for California’s Iconic Trees Uncovered
- San Francisco Chronicle, April 23, 2019: California scientists unravel genetic mysteries of world’s tallest trees
- Sacramento Bee, April 23, 2019: ‘23andMe for trees’: UC Davis scientists map genome for two giant California trees
- Popular Science, April 23, 2019: Researchers sequenced giant redwood genomes to kickstart a 23andMe for trees
- GenomeWeb, April 23, 2019: Some Big Trees
- YubaNet.com, April 23, 2019: Coast Redwood and Giant Sequoia Mega-Genomes Sequenced
- Redhead Blackbelt, April 23, 2019: A First Step to Protecting Diversity: Scientists Sequenced the Coast Redwood and Giant Sequoia Genomes
- KQED, April 23, 2019: Researchers Unlock Genetic Code of California Redwoods
- CBS Sunday Morning, July 1, 2018: Studying the DNA of Giants
- The Washington Post, February 8, 2018: Decoding the Redwoods
- San Francisco Chronicle, September 26, 2017: Genetic probe of redwoods, giant sequoias is key to restoring forests
- The Mercury News, September 26, 2017: Decoding California’s redwood trees to bolster future forests