Summary of ADEPT
The goal of this project is to develop an infrastructure for identifying alleles at candidate gene loci that can be used to greatly accelerate loblolly pine tree improvement. If selection could be based directly on the alleles in superior trees, the rate of genetic improvement could be accelerated.
The strategy we will employ is to associate single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) found within candidate genes with phenotypic values for three groups of economically-important and biologically-divergent traits: wood properties, disease resistance, and responses to water deficits after planting.
Realizing that identification of candidate genes controlling economic traits is the critical first step in our approach, we will identify genes based on their function in pine and model systems, and based on their co-location with QTLs on the loblolly pine genetic map. Gene expression arrays and detailed phenotypic analyses on a suite of complex traits will help to reveal the biological basis of SNP-phenotype associations.
This is a comprehensive project that directly involves nine researchers at four universities, and five research cooperatives comprised of over thirty forest products companies. The scale of this project is unprecedented in pine. To capture maximum value, we have established an aggressive, coordinated technology transfer and outreach plan to:
- Ensure application of research results in industry;
- Make all information and resources available to the scientific community;
- Extend information to non-industrial forest landowners throughout the southern forest ecosystem.
News & Updates
- 04/14/2004 – Quarterly Reports now posted
- 03/24/2003 – The Project Data Page has been updated with the addition of link for Georgia-ESTs. The main page has been updated with the addition of Disease Resistance Gene discovery Page.
- 01/03/02 – New items have been posted to the Project Data Page. A Staff Page for current contact information of people directly involved in the ADEPT project has been added.
- 04/03/02 – The first quarterly reports are beginning to arrive and are being posted at the Project Data Page upon arrival.
- 08/01/02 – The candidate genes for Water Deficit Response are posted on the Project Data Page now. The candidate genes for Disease Resistance will be posted soon.
- 10/17/02 – Second Quarterly Reports are completed and now available at Project Data Page-Quarterly Reports.